world book day 4th march
Subject: Save the Date: World Book Day is coming on 4th March!
ALL ABOUT WORLD BOOK DAY
World Book Day is a charity on a mission to help change children’ lives by making reading together and reading for pleasure a habit for life.
Reading for pleasure is the single biggest indicator for success in life, more than family circumstances, educational background, or income (Organisation for Economic Co-operation & Development).
Sharing stories together for just ten minutes a day will encourage a love of reading and it’s fun for everyone! You can read together anywhere and everywhere, from breakfast to bedtime! In the park, on the train, on the sofa, on a plane – reading and sharing stories can happen anywhere at any time.
World Book Day is a celebration of reading, authors, illustrators and books. It’s designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading, and marked in over 100 countries all over the world.
SO…HOW CAN YOU HELP YOUR CHILD(REN) PREPARE FOR WORLD BOOK DAY?
On the day, encourage your child to dress up as their favourite character from a book, any book. This year we are asking families to try and make their own costumes in the effort to ‘Reduce, Reuse, Recycle’. If this is not possible, then, of course, you can still purchase one.
On Thursday 4th March (This date might differ slightly for some year groups), your child will be assigned lots of fun-packed activities all linked to reading. You can further support your child by visiting the World Book Day website here and sharing with your child(ren) the resources available.
Some of the resources include:
- fun resources including activity sheets, lesson plans and discussion guides for Nursery, Primary & Secondary
- Author & Illustrator Academy video lessons
- FREE audiobooks
- videos on our YouTube channel including stories for under 5s and masterclasses from some of your favourite authors and illustrators,
- the top 100 Stories To Share – voted for by the nation.
Due to classes with Screen-free Day the following year groups will be celebrating World Book Day on the days listed below:
- Year 1 & Y6 Friday 5th March
- Year 3 Wednesday 3rd March
- All other year groups will celebrate World Book Day on Thursday 4th March
- All Keyworker/vulnerable children that attend school can dress up on Thursday 4th March
Article 28: Every child has the right to an education
Article 17: Every child has the right to reliable information from books, newspapers, computers and other sources, as long as it isn’t harmful.